Sunday, June 21, 2009

Update

Hey guys! Hope you are all well and are enjoying your June! I can't believe it's the middle June already!!! We've had a great week here in North Africa. We've been a bit bummed out because the lady who was supposed to organize our work time here has been really sick, so she hasn't been able to get us into the places we were supposed to be working at. Mr. J ha totally been orchestrating our time though, which has been really cool. We have been hanging out with a girl we met on the train down to the mountains who has just moved to the area we're in and doesn't know a whole lot of people yet. She's an absolute sweetheart and we love spending time hanging out. Yesterday, we went out or ice cream and talked to her about Mr. J for like two hours! She was really interested and she wants to buy his book, which is really exciting! We're hanging out with her a bunch more before we leave, so hopefully we'll get a chance to talk more. The boys have been hanging out with these kids who call themselves the 5Speedboys--watch their YouTube stuff here: http://www.youtube.com/user/5speedboys they're legit! They have a whole gang of guys who do this thing called "free running" which basically involves running down the street and doing crazy acrobatic flips off of whatever comes across their path. When I met them, they were filming a short movie about not doing drugs for a film festival in the city. If it wins, it's going to play at the Cannes Film Festival!!! We were there watching the shoot, and we actually got to be in part of the movie! It should be up on YouTube in a few months--I'll be sure to send the link when I get it. The guys have had some good opportunities to hang with the boys and share with them as well, which is really cool. English classes have been going well too. We taught another song this week, and I helped teach the beginning English group their colors and the days of the week.

My body is recovering from a second round of the Arican Montezuma's Revenge, which was not fun, especially when we were at the beach WHERE THERE WERE NO BATHROOMS!!! I had some special bonding times with my team mate who held a towel up or me so I could go to the bathroom in the bushes.... The day we went to the beach was my one opportunity to ride a camel, and I didn't get to do it because I was sick. Suuuuuuper bummed out, but I'm going to try to go back if I can possibly mannage so I can tick another life goal off the list. I am feeling better now and am in better spirits, but still bummed about mising out on the camel experience.

I uploaded new pictures which you can see here: http://s622.photobucket.com/albums/tt307/smithmj13/
I don't have time to organize them or add comments to them today, so I'll leave the timeline and captions to your imagination until next time. Hope you enjoy!

Love you and miss you all!!!

No comments: